Sunday, February 20, 2022

Credit Font Research

I found that choosing the font for my credits was quite difficult. It has to fit with a Thriller, but it also needs to be subtle. The reason why subtlety is  important for the credits is that I dont want anything to powerful and distracting, the film is the focus and I dont want the credits to take that away.


(Se7en, 1995)
(Se7en, 1995)

I had originally considered using a similar font to the one used in Se7en, which looks almost hand-drawn and scruffy. However, I came to realise that it would most likely only work with a (fully) black background, and I never intended to do anything like that, and so I decided that the font wouldn’t work for what it is that I’m looking for.



(The Suicide Squad, 2021)
(The Suicide Squad, 2021)

When I watched The Suicide Squad last year, I thought that it had really nice comic looking credits. I decided to re-visit the credits again and look at the font. Whilst the font was not appropriate for my film, I took note of the placement of the credits. I liked the way that the credits were placed in the centre and the sides - But not all the way into the corners. 



Since I wasn’t having much luck looking at existing media, I chose to look at Dafont, which is a website my teacher recommended I looked at for fonts to download. There, I looked at unique fonts which all sorts of different styles.



Both of the fonts that caught my eye were interesting, especially the second one. However, I still felt like there was something about them that told me it was still too much. I decided that I needed something with thinner outlines, a skinnier font. 
Whilst taking a look at some of my footage, I looked at my friends computer which is next to mine, and I was immediately asking him where he got his font. It looked slightly eroded, skinny and it looked like it would be subtle enough, which was just the sort of thing that I was looking for. In the end I was really happy with the way it turned out and I think it gave a distorted effect to my film, which I really liked.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Catch The Rainbow