Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Filming #1

 All of the crew arrived on time and my actor arrived extra early to try on costumes, etc... so we were all ready to go. I started filming as soon as everything was ready and in place, starting with the shots that showed Mr Fantasy getting dressed. I got my actor fully dressed and prepared for the filming, the suit was a little bit too large but still fit and I was happy with how it turned out, it looked almost exactly the way I had imagined. 


I then worked on the final scene, this was essential as I planned the final shot to leave a lasting and impactful impression on the audience as the opening sequence finishes. I had chosen that I was going to make the empty environment feel as still as possible, and to do that I wanted to use no extra lighting and only work with what was naturally coming in through the windows. This meant that I had to make sure there were no shadows that might appear from outside, luckily there weren't and it was a really bright and sunny day.



The original ending for the film was that there would be a reveal of a body covered in blood left inside the house, however when trying the shot for the first time it felt cheesy. The one thing I had to try really hard with my film, was to avoid making it cheesy, which it easily could become with a small change. I didn't like the reveal and opted to go for something that felt more 'Thriller' to me, in which I would reveal just a hand behind a door at the end. It felt better when I filmed it and I liked having the unexpected turn of the camera at the end as it takes away any feeling of control that the audience may have had. 


I was using the storyboard heavily throughout the day of filming, both for my own reminding and also to better direct my actor, especially in the shower scene. By this time we had been working for three hours and stopped to eat lunch, my actor was having some trouble understanding what he needed to do in the shower and how he needed to do it. The storyboard was really useful as I was able to explain it whilst referencing the drawing that I had done for it. I feel like the process was made much easier for both me and the cast/crew that were helping me with the storyboard and I am glad that I put the amount of consideration into it that I had. 

Overall, I think that the day of filming was a success, the only hiccup that I had was with the change of the ending and the rest ran smoothly. I failed to take pictures of the shoot for the cooking scene as there were less people to help and I had to work the camera whilst my actor was busy with the food which meant I never really got a chance to take anything to add to the post. However, we got all of the shots done over the course of a day and one extra hour the following morning. We stuck to the planned schedule and it turned out even better than I had hoped. The only thing that I feel I could have done differently was shoot more takes of the final shot with the gimble, I had the time and I thought that the takes I had done were fine, however I think it would have been better with one or two more takes and I may have to re-shoot in the near future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catch The Rainbow