Thursday, November 25, 2021

Making Mr Fantasy's costume - Accessories

 Creating The Costume: Accessories


Tie - 


I had a lot of choice when considering the Tie, nothing significant but its the small touches that help. So I chose a tie that linked back to some of my very first inspiration...

The tie I chose was quite a dull blue colour, but it was covered in a lot of small umbrella's. Its simple and there might not be much point in elaborating on this but it is something that I found to be really enjoyable whilst putting together the costume.

I have mentioned previously that I have had many influence's throughout the creation of my film and that I also try to refer to my inspirations here and there, dropping in little Easter eggs. Whilst this is on a really small scale at the moment, I intend on doing into a much more grand scheme of it in future projects and tasks. 






To me the artwork showed yet another way of displaying Mr.Fantasy's hidden face, which is also elaborated through the signs of the umbrellas as people can cover their face with them. 

This is also prominent with the idea of the umbrella protecting people from rain, and as rain is commonly used as a sign on worry and doubt this is relevant through the idea of Mr.Fantasy hiding his face and identity from the audience in order to protect himself. This is a direct comparison as the umbrellas on the tie represent a physical umbrella to protect him from being caught.








(Golconda, 1953)




(JoJolion, 2011)


I first thought of this shot type when I first saw the trailer for The King's Man, in which there is one very quick shot of the main character suiting up and adjusting his tie. I thought that it looked really cool and it told me the kind of man this person is, which I thought was a really great example of the show-not-tell element to film making, and that is something I really want to achieve within my own work.







Cufflinks - 

Mr. Fantasy's plain suit may even prove to be a little bit too boring, and I started to get a little bit concerned and wondered if I've made the right choice or not. So I looked at the suit accessories that I had, I had cufflinks that peaked my interest, however they seemed a little too exciting for someone who's wardrobe is boring suits and grey. I thought they were too child-like and they wouldn't be taken seriously by the audience. That was until I came across them again, and as I looked at them I thought that they would work really well.


Now that I look at them they are very questionable to whether or not a murderer would wear them, but nevertheless, I do have my reasons. I mentioned in the 'Creating A Character' blog post that I looked at a very still faced expression for Mr. Fantasy, however since we don't see his eyes, I need to convey his emotionlessness some other way, which is wear my cufflinks come in. Robots are usually still faced with no expression, and they are like this throughout all sorts of media, emotionless shells. I suppose another example of how they would work is similar to the way that Stormtroopers in Star Wars wear those cold white, empty helmets with no expression whatsoever. 



(C3PO, Star Wars)

(Storm Troopers, Star Wars)


(Wonder Of U, JoJolion)


And this is why I will use the cufflinks, even though they will only appear for one or two shots, they will serve the purpose of presenting that creepy lifeless stare that Mr. Fantasy would have. Therefore, despite their slight childish-ness, they will hopefully work in the way that I want them to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catch The Rainbow