Monday, March 14, 2022

Catch The Rainbow: Poster

    Creating a movie Poster


Since starting the task I have had ideas for ways to add to my film, and making a poster was one of those ways. Personally, I am a big fan of posters and before I watch a movie trailer, I try to find the poster. This probably comes down to the fact that I think a poster is my personal favorite way that a film is marketed. So I had a reason to make a poster and I knew that it would be something I would be passionate about. So I began looking into it, I have looked at a lot of posters before, and I see them almost every day, but I wanted to know the most authentic way to create a poster as well as use colors to my complete benefit. 

(Vanity Fair)


From watching this video from Vanity Fair, I learnt that the typical and conventional color for a Thriller film poster is Blue. The majority of the posters displayed the idea of a singular figure (usually placed at a distance).



Whilst Thriller and Phycological Thrillers were being talked about, I realized that I was not the biggest fan of the colors. I think the colors definitely work, but to me the primarily blue background with touches of yellow and green surrounded by blurry environments just wouldn't work for the type of film that I am trying to create. I wanted something less bland and something that is bursting with color. I suppose my aim was to try and challenge the typical conventions of Thriller posters, and I thought that it would be really interesting to try.

It was whilst I was filming I decided to try and take some pictures that I might have been able to use as posters, or at least to get me thinking about ideas. Which is when my friend reminded me of American Psycho, since my film shared similarities with it. I looked for the poster and I found one that stood out to me and I wanted to try and re-create it.



I wanted to go with the red colour used in this poster, but I wanted to be more “in your face” with mine, and I felt like looking at the camera would look cool. I also decided to draw and re-create the text of the album cover from Richie Blackmore's Rainbow, where I got my film title from.



After adding the title and adding cropping the image a little bit, I couldn't help but think that there was something missing, and I was ultimately unsatisfied. So I turned to something I have brought up many times, manga, there are countless exceptional covers that I could have chosen from, but for this project I chose my absolute favorite. Volume 38 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is exactly the kind of poster I want to create, misleading, colorful, creative and exciting. Whilst this is for a Thriller film, the overall tone of the poster will be fitting as I want to create a darker undertone to the poster, weather it is through hidden easter eggs or if there are things hidden in plain sight. 

(JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, volume 38)


(Photo Shoot)

I was able to take lots of great photos that would all be good to make a poster out of, however… I came up to the end of the submission for the coursework and making the poster is the one thing that completely slipped my mind. Its a shame that I couldn’t produce a poster as it was something that I was starting to feel more passionate about it. I dont like to leave things incomplete, however, I was really glad that I started to make the poster as I think I was able to gain a lot of great experience which I can now use for more projects in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catch The Rainbow