Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Key Character Inspiration - The perfect antagonist, Kira Yoshikage

The perfect antagonist, Kira Yoshikage




(JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)


When I first thought of a story for my film, I thought immediately about the main character. I knew that I would want to shine a spotlight on a murderer living in plain sight. The majority of Crime Thrillers involving murders involve a focus on detectives chasing a serial killer around, murder after murder, but I wanted to take a different approach towards the sub-genre. I wanted the killer to be the focus and the protagonist/antagonist. Which brings me to my main inspiration for the narrative and the character, Kira Yoshikage, who I believe to be the greatest antagonist in media and television. He is a serial killer living in a small town in Japan, he is young and works a small job at a department store - He lives a normal and quiet life. Which is why Kira Yoshikage makes for such a great and frightening antagonist, he does not have any overarching motives that makes him murder, and he does not have a traumatic past. 


(JoJo's Bizarre Adventure chapter 360)



Most of the time in media, serial killers are depicted as deranged and sick people living in dark and damp places. They usually have motives influenced by traumatic pasts and childhoods that have made them the murderers that they are. But in real life that is not quite the case, serial killers are normal people who have families, work day to day jobs and fit in with society all around them, which is exactly who Kira Yoshikage is. I wanted implement the goal of wanting to live a quiet life into my own character, it is a believable motive and it does not have any deep meaning behind it, my character would simply be like Kira Yoshikage in the way that he wants to quietly fit in with society despite being a murderer, making him somewhat realistic and a dramatically potent character within a cat and mouse chase narrative. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catch The Rainbow